Veterinarian in San Antonio, TX
Welcome to Ellison Drive Animal Hospital
Veterinarians train for years to understand the unique physiology of animals. They commit themselves to taking care of your pet’s health needs and seeing to their welfare. The best thing you can do for your dog or cat is to take them in for regular visits to a veterinarian in San Antonio, TX. You can also learn more about your pets’ health needs and how to keep them safe between vet visits. Ellison Drive Animal Hospital veterinarian provides everything a pet owner needs to ensure their pet is happy and healthy.
Our dedicated doctors, veterinary technicians, groomers, and caretakers have been serving the needs of San Antonio’s pet owners for more than 20 years. During this time we have built up an outstanding reputation for compassionate care, skilled veterinary procedures and surgeries, and a top-notch animal clinic and pet boarding facility. Our veterinarian team is friendly, highly trained, and absolutely loves working with animals of all kinds. We treat each and every animal that comes through our doors with the same compassion we would show to our own.
Whether your pet is feeling under the weather, requires pain management, flea or heartworm prevention, spaying, neutering, or just needs a good bath to reveal that shiny coat of fur, we’re able to deliver with a gentle and caring touch. In addition to providing your pets with the best care around, we are also proud to offer pet boarding and pet grooming services to the San Antonio, TX areas. While you are on a much-needed vacation with your family and are using our pet grooming and boarding services, you have nothing to worry about! Our passionate veterinarian clinic staff takes excellent care of your pets!
Pet Care in San Antonio, TX
When you choose one of our two leading veterinary locations, your pet is sure to know how much you care. We offer a spacious and comfortable boarding facility to house your pets while you are away. With a fully-trained, animal-loving staff and veterinarian to take care of their every need, you won’t have to worry about a thing.
We ensure that we are up-to-date with the latest technologies and products available for the health and safety of our animals. That’s why we’re proud to offer our patients a number of superior products and Home Again microchips.
If your pet needs a check-up or other veterinarian treatment in San Antonio, TX feel free to call Ellison Veterinary Animal Hospital at 210-670-8400. We’re always here to provide owners with everything they need to keep their pets healthy.
Providing your dog or cat with pet vaccinations keeps them healthy and free from common diseases. Vaccinations produce an immune response from your pet’s body, essential in fighting off organisms that could make them ill. Below are some standard vaccinations recommended for dogs and cats.
- Rabies — The viral disease passes through bites from another animal. It affects your pet’s central nervous system, particularly the brain. Your dog can die if they don’t receive rapid treatment.
- Bordetella — Bordetella bacteria spread in shared dog spaces. Once it gets inside your dog’s body, it can lead to issues like bronchitis and kennel cough.
- Distemper —The distemper vaccine lowers your dog’s risk of getting infected with a virus that disrupts your pet’s system. They can end up with problems affecting their gastrointestinal, nervous, and respiratory systems.
- Parvovirus — The vaccine protects dogs from the virus, which can result in serious gastrointestinal problems.
- Feline leukemia — Feline leukemia passes from cat to cat through bodily fluid exchanges. Felines can develop anemia and lymphomas. Other complications can include a suppressed immune system that opens your cat up to contracting other illnesses.
- FVRCP — The FVRCP vaccination protects from three different viruses: rhinotracheitis, calicivirus, and panleukopenia. All can be fatal to cats without proper treatment.
Pet Urgent Care
If your pets are distressed because of an accident or illness, you can bring them to our facility for treatment. We offer pet urgent care services, including:
- Digital Radiology
If you can, it helps to call ahead and let us know your pet’s current condition. That gives us time to prepare the tools and equipment needed to administer proper care to your pet. Don’t hesitate to bring your dog or cat to us if they’re experiencing any of the following symptoms:
- Bloody stools
- Rapid rise or fall in temperature
- Loss of consciousness
- Fast or weak pulse
- Broken bones
- Lameness in one or more limbs
- Pale gums
Do your best to stabilize your pet before reaching out for urgent pet care. Early treatment makes a big difference in the outcome for your dog or cat.
Spay and Neuter Services
Deciding to spay and neuter your dog or cat helps the entire animal population, leading to fewer homeless dogs and cats roaming the streets. Having a female dog or cat spayed stops them from going into heat, which can lead to dangerous situations when they go outside. The procedure also protects them from:
- Uncomfortable hormone fluctuations
- Out-of-control anxiety
- Uterine infections
Male dogs tend to be less aggressive toward other dogs after a neutering procedure. They also have a lower risk of developing a prostate infection or prostate cancer. The practice also reduces a male dog or cat’s inclination to roam outside, which can lead to fights.
Ellison Drive Animal Hospital offers pet boarding services for owners who need to travel and have no convenient way to take their pets along. You can rest assured that your dog or cat is in excellent hands with our staff. We make sure your pet receives the personal care and attention necessary to keep them calm and happy until you return.
- Regular feeding — Our team feeds your pet healthy food regularly to ensure they receive proper nutrition.
- Medication administration — We provide medications and supplements for your pet based on your instructions during their stay.
- Health care — Our vet personnel provide specialized treatment for your dog or cat based on their health needs. If an incident occurs, we offer immediate medical care and alert you about what’s happening.
Dogs and cats get to socialize, which helps reduce their anxiety while you are away. Our staff keeps a close eye on interactions to ensure that no one takes things too far. We believe that health starts with happiness, so our goal is to keep your pet happy and satisfied until your return.
Cat and Dog Teeth Cleaning
Dental health is just as important for your pet as it is for you. Taking them in for a regular cat and dog teeth cleaning is essential to maintain good oral health. A lack of proper dental care can lead to problems with their mouth, including lost teeth and gum disease.
Ellison Veterinary Animal Hospital makes sure your dog or cat remains comfortable throughout the procedure. We can provide them with anesthesia suited to their physiology and breed. Our team also educates pet owners on things they can do at home to take care of their pet’s teeth, including:
- Brushing teeth at home
- Checking their mouth for problems
- Giving them treats that help fight plaque buildup
Pet Laser Therapy
Laser therapy for dogs and cats provides relief to many health conditions, including chronic pain. Our vet offers the procedure for pets dealing with problems like:
- Surgery wounds
- Trauma wounds
- Nodular foot lesions
We have provided successful pet laser therapy treatment for many pets in the area. Feel free to talk with the vet about how the therapy works and the benefits it offers.
What Clients Are Saying
Love the staff and how they treat my pets. Cat was peeing blood and they had him all fixed up within a week. They even prescribed him food and he loves it. Yearly checkups are easy and priced really nicely. They answer all my questions and concerns. Even took new pup to them. Would definitely recommend them 🙂Jasmine M.
I am so surprised that I was able to find a vet that grooms my babies AND takes care of their medical needs. We went out of town for a weekend so they were able to board them and get all their check ups along with grooming. They are so nice and everyone there cares about the pups. Thank you for everything. Will be taking my pups here 🙂Liza C.
Everyone is always very nice & professional!Rubin R.